Archives for Services for People with an Aquired Brain Injury

Gasoline tax rebates, how to get them!


Provincial Gasoline Tax Rebate for Persons with Disabilities

People with certain disabilities may apply for a refund of tax paid on fuel purchased for their motor vehicles. The refund is based on the amount of taxes paid, to a maximum of $500 annually.

You must meet all of the following criteria to qualify for the program:
– you must be a "person with disabilities" as defined in the Motor Fuel Tax Act
– you must be at least 16 years old
– you must be a registered owner or lessee of a motor vehicle, or provide a letter from the registered owner indicating you are a joint owner of the vehicle

Qualified persons must first register before claiming a refund. Please see Register for the Fuel Tax Refund Program for Persons with Disabilities.


Applications and supporting documentation should be sent to:

Consumer Taxation


Fax: 250-356-219


Federal Excise Gasoline Tax Refund Program

If you are medically certified as having a permanent mobility impairment, and you cannot safely use public transportation, you can apply for a refund of part of the federal excise tax on the gasoline you buy.

For more information and an application form, see Information Sheet XE8, Federal Excise Gasoline Tax Refund Program.

Disabled parking permits in BC, where to get them!


Enforceable, plastic placards with permit number and international symbol of access are distributed to people with disabilities, and agencies transporting people with disabilities, so that they may park in designated spaces. Individuals must complete an application form and have it signed by a doctor.

The permits are available from SPARC BC, and are available for download HERE

Mailing address:


4445 Norfolk St, Burnaby, BC  V5G 0A7

Fax: 604-736-8697



If you are travelling to BC from out of province or out of the country and you want to use your home parking permit or need a temporary permit, find all the information HERE.

Remember: Review your own needs!


Although, there does not seem to be an "official" policy in place about yearly reviews for PWD benefits, it appears that people are no longer being asked to come into the Ministry offices every year to prove they are still disabled.

While this is mostly a GOOD thing you must remember that as your health or living situations change, you may be eligible for an additional  supplement or benefit.  Even if you are not being asked to attend an office to do a yearly review, take the time to review your own needs.  It might be time to visit your local MEIA office and ask for a reveiw.

Cuts to Medical Coverage = fewer dentist visits


Cuts to Medical Coverage and Minimum Shelter Allowance

FromBC Coaltion for People with Disabilities

Following the March 2nd budget, the Ministry of Housing and Social Development announced it will be making a number of cuts to the health and medical services available to people receiving provincial disabilitybenefits and income assistance. The BC Coalition of People with Disabilities (BCCPD) is very concerned about the impact that these changes will have on our community.

We are also disappointed at the lack of community consultation about these cuts. If you share our concerns, we invite you to write to Minister Coleman and your MLA. You can find your local MLA and Minister Coleman’s contact information by going to

The BCCPD is currently reviewing the new regulations in order to provide you with detailed information on the changes. In the meantime, here is a very brief list of some of the changes which will come into force on April 1st (unless we have indicated a different date).

Medical Equipment and Supplies

A broad range of medical equipment and supplies will no longer be funded by the Ministry. Those that will be funded must be the cheapest appropriate to the person’s needs and are listed in the regulations. Here are some examples of items that the Ministry will no longer fund:

  • diagnostic testing devices such as glucose meters
  • contraceptive devices (for example, IUDs)
  • pre-made orthotics.


In addition to changes to what the Ministry will fund, there will be restrictions, for example on:

  • how often the Ministry will repair or replace equipment
  • how much money the Ministry will spend on each item of equipment. For instance, motorized scooters valued at more than $3,500 will not be funded. To be eligible for a motorized scooter, a physician must say the applicant won’t need a wheelchair for 5 years.

Monthly Nutritional Supplement (MNS)

The eligibility requirements for the MNS have been tightened. For example:

  • loss of bone density will no longer count as a symptom
  • significant weight loss not significant weight change will be used to determine eligibility.
  • applicants will be required to demonstrate they have at least two symptoms, rather than one which is currently the case.

The MNS will be reduced by $20 because the Ministry will no longer fund bottled water. People currently receiving the bottled water supplement will receive it until May 31st 2010 only.

Medical Services: Time limits and Income-Testing

  • People with disabilities who leave assistance when they turn 65 and go on to the seniors’ pension, or people who leave provincial disability for Canada Pension Plan Disability will only keep their medical and dental coverage for one year, rather than permanently as is currently the case.
  • People with disabilities who leave assistance for employment will only keep their medical coverage if they are receiving Premium Assistance from the Medical Services Plan.

Dental Treatment

  • Cleaning, examinations and fluoride treatments will be reduced to once a year (currently twice a year).
  • X-ray coverage every 2 years (currently every year).

Shelter Allowance

The $75 monthly Shelter Allowance for people who don’t pay rent is eliminated as of June 1st 2010.


Different Approaches for Finding Employment


Know the different approaches that agencies use to find employment for people with intellectual disabilities. Some agencies conduct ongoing
training until the person with a disability is ready for a job. However, we hear and know that traininga person wiuth a disability until they are "ready" for a job has not been effective – people have been in “training” for many years and they have not graduated to employment. An alternative approach to getting sutainable employment for a person with an intellectual disability is to place the person with a disability in a job carved out based on their preferences and then systematically train for the tasks to achieve a real job for real pay.
This approach, according to the literature, creates more success for
people with disabilities (in Real Work for Real Pay: Inclusive Employment for
People with Disabilities

Need to find a Support Worker?


Let’s face it… trying to find a good employee is not always easy. Fortunately, the Family Support Institute (FSI) has just launched a website that brings together potential support workers for people or organizations who need them. So if you are a support worker or an employer this is the website to check out!

Looking for more tips? See other tips about finding workers on UNTAPE.

BC Employment Program for People with Disabilities


Did you know that the Minsitry of Housing and Social Development has a program for people with disabilities to find work? Yes.. its true. Their website says that they provide support in the following areas:

  • Pre-Employment
  • Planning
    and Employment Services
  • Self-Employment
  • Disability
  • Assistive

Give them a call….1 866-866-0800

Persons with Disabilities Online – Employment


Check out the persons with Disabilities Online Employment Section to find information to assist you in getting a job.

Entrepreneurs With Disabilities Program


If you are looking to start a business you may be eligible for up to $150,000 to help you get started. Check out the Entrepreneurs With Disabilities Program at the Western Economic Diversification Fund to find out how to apply.

Community Dental Services for Children and Teens


Community Dental Services* for Children and Teens
Clinics Providing Dental Treatment with Reduced Fees – updated Oct 1, 2008

Mid Main Community Health Centre Dental Clinic 3998 Main St., Vancouver
Appointment Required, Complete Dentistry

Reach Centre Dental Clinic: 1145 Commercial, Vancouver
Appointment Required, Complete Dentistry

UBC Dental Clinic-Faculty of Dentistry 2151 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver,
Prescreening needed. Must be 5 years or older Treatment by dental students
Basic Dentistry & Orthodontics Student Dentists
Certified Dental Assistant and Registered Dental Hygiene Programs offering reduced fees for children’s Preventive services. Services may include: x-rays, fissure sealants, polishing and fluoride treatments. Dental hygiene programs also include scaling and root planing.

University of the Fraser Valley Certified Dental Assisting Program Registered Dental Hygiene Program
45635 Yale Road, Chilliwack, V2P 6T4

Douglas College – Certified Dental Assistant Program 700 Royal Ave, New Westminster,V3M 5Z5

CDI College- Certified Dental Assisting Program 101 – 4603 Kingsway , Burnaby 9180 King George Highway, Surrey
604-437-8585 604-585-8585

VCC Certified Dental Assisting Program 250 W. Pender St., Vancouver

MTI Certified Dental Assisting Program 100-6446 Nelson Ave, Burnaby, V5H 3J5

* Please call each facility for appointment times and hours of service. Ask if the facility offers reduced fees. Call the BC Dental Association @ 604-736-7202 for further listings
For information on dental + optical coverage for low income families call BC Healthy Kids Program 1-866-866-0800 press 4 then 2 kids/

Compiled by Fraserhealth Community Dental Health Programs:
Delta: 604-507-5400, North Surrey: 604-587-7900, Langley: 604-539-2900, Abbotsford: 604-864-3400, Chilliwack: 604-702-4900, Burnaby: 604-918-7605, New Westminister/Tricities: 604-949-7200, Maple Ridge: 604-476-7000 For long distance, call Service BC 1-800-663-7867 and ask to be transferred to the closest health unit listed