Archives for children

Summer Camp fun!


There are many possibilities for children of all abilities to enjoy summer camp.  The best-known one is the Easter Seals Summer Camp, but there are many more options for both day and overnight camp opportunities. 

ACT BC‘s Summer Camp List is one of the most comprehensive for children with special needs. 

Also find complete listings of  BCCA accredited camps at the BC Camping Association website.  They have a good list of hints and tips, including this one, "…the people who direct the camp are far more important than the equipment, buildings, and facilities advertised."

Many Disability-centred non-profits also sponsor summer camps for children with specific disabilities.  Check out the organization that supports your child’s disability and see what they may be offering this year.  For example the Cerebral Palsy Association of BC offers funding for children with CP to attend camp and the Canadian Cancer Society has Camp Goodtimes for children and teens living with cancer.

Resources for Parenting Younger Children


Attachment Parenting Canada

This website provides parents with evidence-based information regarding how to best deal with their children

Unfortunately, the BC chapter does not currently have any contact persons on its website.


BC Family Resource Programs

106-2590 Granville St, Vancouver, BC, V6H 3H1

Phone: (604) 738-0068, Fax: (604) 738-0058

This website introduces you to community based family resource programs. It mainly seeks to strengthen and empower families within their communities. It aims to help families offer children the best for optimal development.


Children First

This is a website that aims at helping BC families with small children through a number of initiatives. Although it does not provide direct services, it can help families get services that are identified by community planning.


Empathic Parenting

This is a Canadian-based website that provides information and advice on how to best parent your child. It also offers a FREE online parenting course and has links to other useful websites.


Fussy Baby

This website is quite useful to any parent of a small child. It contains information about fussy babies and offers useful tips to parents as to how they can handle their fussy baby. This website has a discussion forum for parents and others who deal with fussy babies. It also connects you to other websites that might be of use to you.


The Natural Child Project

This is a great website for any parent. It offers a lot of advice and information about raising healthy children

Need Help with Support or Advocacy? Weblinks to Join Others!


If you need help with advocacy it makes sense to contact one of the many organizations that work to support people with disabilities and their families.

Some organizations focus on helping people to understand and access the services and programs that are available to them. Others focus on providing resources for families and support networks. Many also work to represent the concerns of disabled people with governments and policy-makers. Joining with others links you to like-minded people who are concerns with issues that matter to you. So don’t be shy and hook up with the association that is relevant to you (some people join more than one).

British Columbia Web Links:

Burnaby Association for Community Inclusion (BACI) provides services and advocacy to people with intellectual disabilities and their families in Burnaby.

British Columbia Association for Community Living (BCACL) is a provincial body with a membership made up of not-for-profits, families, and people with disabilities. BCACL works hard to influence government at a policy level.

Family Support Institute is a network of family volunteers who provide support for other families of children with disabilities.

Family Net is an independent provincial network that advocates on behalf of people with disabilities and their families at a policy level.

PLAN is a not-for-profit that aims to help those with disabilities and their families create a safe and secure future.

Help for Parents who are Separating or Divorcing


Are you a parent in the process of separating or divorcing? Did you know that there are free programs and services to support you through this process?Before seeing a lawyer, you may be interested in the services provided through the Family Justice Program with the Ministry of Attorney General of BC. Family Justice Counsellors can provide you with information, support and also help with mediation between you and your ex-spouse. They can even help you negotiate custody, access and support agreements. The Family Justice Program also offers a free three-hour “Parenting after Separation” workshop. The PAS workshop is intended to help parents make careful and informed decisions around their separation and proactively anticipate the conflicts that may result. The session emphasizes the importance of taking into account the best interests of the children. The workshop is excellent and provides valuable information to help all parties effectively deal with the difficulty of separating. The legalities of custody, guardianship, access, and support are discussed and additional resource materials are provided. There are sessions offered throughout BC, with some being offered in other languages, and home-study packages are available at local libraries. A parenting handbook is also available and is printed in English, Chinese, French and Punjabi. If your marital breakdown does proceed to divorce, both parties will need to provide evidence of having attended the PAS workshop. But don’t wait until then — the information you will be provided with will have you wishing you had attended sooner.For information on Child Support, there is an Infoline: 604 660-2192 (lower mainland) and 1-888-216-2211 

Who to call at Children’s Hospital if you want to talk to another parent who knows the hospital “system”


Call the Partners in Care Parent Line at 604-875-3500, your call will be returned in 24-48 hours. They are available to help navigate the hospital system, direct you where to take complaints and compliments and provide more information about the partners in care committee.