Battling red tape: Tips to success in dealing with government agencies


Are you being forced to switch your Autism Funding to the Invoice method?  Being audited by the Autism Unit and have been told you owe them money?  Don’t be discouraged in dealing with this or other government agencies such as Housing & Social Development or Canada Revenue Agency- you CAN come out on top.  Here are a few simple methods I have used with great results:

– When calling the department to discuss your file always be polite.

– Request and write down the name of the person you’re talking with.

– If you disagree, ask to speak to the supervisor (write down their name too!).

– Ask for information about their appeal process (almost ALL decisions can be reviewed!)

– If you are still unsatisfied, contact your local Member of the Legislative Assembly (MLA):

…and ask for an appointment to discuss your problem.

– Contact the BC Coalition for Persons with Disabilities:

Advocacy Access Program
Phone 604-872-1278; Toll Free 1-800-663-1278

- DON’T GIVE UP!  BACI has an advocacy committee and family support groups that may be able to help you!

Self-advocacy can be time-consuming and frustrating at times.  But from personal experience, I can assure you that if you are firm and ask for help from your community you can cut through red tape!