Community Living British Columbia (CLBC)

How to Complain about CLBC Services

How do you request an investigation into the abuse of an adult who is supported by a CLBC contract?
If you suspect abuse you should contact the RCMP or local police. Once there is the involvement of police all other processes should stop pending the outcome. If you feel that the CLBC investigation has not been sufficient and you have concerns about harm done and/or safety of a person then involving the police is appropriate. The involvement of the police is not a matter of choice for CLBC or any other body, agency or service provider.

Below are some links to the mechanisms that
currently exist, which may provide relief.

familyWORKS – Invitation to a discussion about Real Work for Real Pay


familyWORKS invites you to join us in our
‘Conversation about Real Work’
November 14th, 2009
6 pm – 9 pm

Burnaby Association for Community Inclusion

2709 Norland Avenue

Topics for discussion:

  • What does ‘Real Work for Real Pay’ mean to families?
  • What have families been doing to support their members to work?
  • What are families’ thoughts, concerns, and words of wisdom?
  • What has familyWORKS been up to?

familyWORKS governance group is: Kevin Lusignan, Lois Godfrey, Nelly Wong, Masa Takei, Karen Bruce, Marvin Bruce and John Tsang

CLBC now offering Individualized Funding


Starting in 2009 CLBC has been actively encouraging families to consider Individualized Funding as an option for their family member with a developmental disability.

The CLBC website has some good print resources to help families decide if this option is for them.

You might also want to check out the BC Coaltion for People with Disabilites  who have a section of their website dedicated to Individualized Funding including a downloadable guide (pdf).The guide is a bit tricky to find, you need to click on the "Guide to Individualized Funding" at the bottom of the resources page.

If you are interested in this funding option contact your CLBC facilitator for more information.

Human Rights Complaint Against CLBC over IQ Eligibility is Allowed


The BC Human Rights Tribunal ruled in favour of a young person with a developmental disability who had been denied funding by Community Living British Columbia because his IQ is over 70. His adoptive mother filed a claim and won $20,000 plus what the cost of care would have been. For the 87 page ruling click here.

So the gist of this tip is that sometimes you need to use a rights based advocacy initiative to get what you need for your children. In this instance we can say way to go mom and admire her courage and persistance. At the same time, it is too bad she had to go to all that trouble to get what her son needed. Isn’t it hard enough to care for a child with a disability without having to take legal action? 



Waitlists in BC


One way to get service is to advocate within the political realm. For instance, in British Columbia we have a crisis because of the vast numbers of people who are waiting for service either through MCFD or CLBC. This has been going on for a long time now and it seems that the Government just does not care.

So, from time to time, I take the trouble to write the Premier a letter. I try to keep it short and to the point and use information that helps my argument. I also cc my MLA and the Leader of the Opposition. See below my most recent letter as an example. Please join me in writing to the premier on the issue of waitlists. Including your personal story and the impact on your family helps get the message across.

November 15, 2008

Honorable Gordon Campbell

Premier of British Columbia

PO Box 9041


Victoria, B.C.


Dear Premier Campbell,

I have two adult children with intellectual disabilities and I am writing to express my deep concern about the lack of funding for people with intellectual disabilities in British Columbia. I   know that approximately 2500+ families are on waitlists for service through Community Living British Columbia or the Ministry of Child and Family Development. I have heard that approximately $60 million is required to alleviate the waitlists in CLBC (how much is needed in MCFD is unknown). This represents less than a 10% increase of the overall CLBC budget.

The BC Liberal Government has projected a budget surplus of $800 million in 2009. The badly needed $60 million to reduce waitlists represents only 7% of the projected budget surplus. I hasten to add that $60 million represents .15% of the overall 2009 government budget. Even if there is not a budget surplus it is clear to me that British Columbia can afford to properly fund people with disabilities. You just choose not to.

Saskatchewan just made that choice. They have just announced that they are investing $76 million into supporting people with disabilities. It is hard not to appreciate that kind of leadership and caring for the most vulnerable in our communities. In tough times, it is even more important to ensure that people are protected and supported. To do otherwise is simply mean-spirited. I would also like to remind you that people who are supported to one day become independent will save society money in the long run. Moreover, when families break apart because they cannot cope it clearly increases costs for the Government because it takes significantly more funding to take a person into care rather than support a family to care for their own.

I cannot support a Government that clearly prioritizes non-essentials (Olympics, bridges, executive salaries) over the real needs of people in our communities. People and families are struggling and need your help. I strongly urge you to fully fund MCFD and CLBC in the next budget.

Sincerely yours,

Kevin Lusignan

Cc Diane Thorne – MLA Coquitlam/Maillardville

Cc  Carol James – Leader of the Opposition

Funding Support for Home Renovations and Vehicle Purchase/Modifications


The Giving in Action Society, supported by the Vancouver Foundation, provides grants to families living in BC through two funds – the Family Independence Fund (FIF) and the Children and Youth with Special Needs Fund (CYSN). These grants enable families to stay together by addressing accessibility issues in their home and community.

For more information go to or call 604-683-3157. 



Who do I Talk to About Red Tape in Social Services?


The person responsible for red tape is Rick Thorpe, Minister Responsible for Regulatory Reform. My sense is that the Business Community gets most of the attention but we should keep the Government aware of the need for regulatory reform within the social service sector. Maybe if they here from people it will eliminate the hoops people have to jump through to get services. To contact Mr. Thorpe e-mail him at

Note:  see comment below

Who to Contact for Service


Community Living British Columbia (CLBC) should be contacted regarding service for adults with a developmental disability and for children with developmental disabilities who have been diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder or are part of the At Home Program.

The Ministry for Children and Family Development (MCFD) should be contacted if your child has any other type of developmental disability.