BC Disability Assistance

Transition – Who does what and when?


Family, High School, CLBC & MCFD –  Who does what & when?


Timeline for Parents & Caregivers:

Community Living BC’s Basic Transition Guide:

Roles and Tasks of Team Members:

Transition Planning Framework – Cross Ministry Policy:


Burnaby SD#41 and Inclusive Education

Contact Information 2013/14:



Into Adulthood, Guidelines and Best Practices:


CLBC – Eligibility & Basic Information:

Transition Planning Process:  http://www.communitylivingbc.ca/individuals-families/youth-in-transition/

Information for families, also available in different languages:  http://www.communitylivingbc.ca/policies-publications/publications/fact-sheets/

Eligibility Policy and Assessor Report:  http://www.communitylivingbc.ca/policies-publications/policies/eligibility-for-clbc-february-2009/


Post Secondary Links:

Douglas College, Adult Special Education:  http://www.douglas.bc.ca/programs/basic-occupational-education.html

Vancouver Community College, Adult Special Education:  http://www.vcc.ca/programs-courses/detail.cfm?div_id=4&prog_id=148

  • Contact:  Maureen Mills:  604.443.8451 or Kathy O’Donnell:  604.443.8434 or  kodonnell@vcc.c

Kwantlen Polytechnic University, Access Programs for People with Disabilities:  http://www.kwantlen.ca/aca/appd.html

Capilano University, Accces to work program:   http://www2.capilanou.ca/programs/access.html

Steps Forward - BC Initiative for Inclusive Post-Secondary Education:  http://www.steps-forward.org/


I’ve inherited $10,000 but I am going to lose my BC Disability Assistance


BC Disability Assistance has long permitted people who recevie sums of money, such as an inheritance, to set it up in a trust and continue to receive their income and other benefits.  The problem is that setting up a trust is complicated and generally we don’t encourage people to do it themselves without visiting a lawyer (which has a cost).

NOW under some circumstances, people can deposit the inheritance in a Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP) (at no cost).

The person must qualify for the federal disability tax credit and be 59 years old or younger.

The RDSP is an exempt asset in BC (and all other provinces) and can be used for any purpose in bc (and MOST other provinces) without impacting Disability Assistance.

 For more information, visit www.rdsp.com