Trouble navigating the disability system?


Our Disability Benefits Navigator allows you to quickly find what you might be missing: http://www.abilitytax.ca/navigator/home.html





How to Complain about CLBC Services

How do you request an investigation into the abuse of an adult who is supported by a CLBC contract?
If you suspect abuse you should contact the RCMP or local police. Once there is the involvement of police all other processes should stop pending the outcome. If you feel that the CLBC investigation has not been sufficient and you have concerns about harm done and/or safety of a person then involving the police is appropriate. The involvement of the police is not a matter of choice for CLBC or any other body, agency or service provider.

Below are some links to the mechanisms that
currently exist, which may provide relief.

Legal information made easy!


Check out this new website, Clicklaw, for all British Columbians.  You can access guides, information sheets and a legal advocate directory.  There is a special topic area for disability that can help you understand your rights to medical care, disability benfits and income assitance. 

There are tons of resources here, for example, in the learn and teach section you can find a link to a video for children to help them understand divorce.

Consult on the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons With Disabilities


The Government of Canada has launched an online consultation on the ratification of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons With Disabilities.


You have to register and then you are given a password to access the survey and share your thoughts. You have until July 31, 2009 to complete the consultation.

I hope that the BC Government adheres to the convention and that the Federal Government uses its powers to ensure compliance in all of its provinces.

What do you think?

Widows pension (survivors pension)


Posted for Frank Jetha

Begins at age 60 and ends at age 65.

Widow pension is attached to your CPP contribution and therefore it will vary person to person.

For more information and help to apply contact Frank Jetha at 604-298-1085

ICBC and Chiropractors


ICBC has embarked on a pilot project that allows for people injured in an accident to get up to $900 treatment. Problem is that ICBC now requires the chiropractor to release your medical files that they can use against you if you end up in court.

So the tip here is… instruct your chiropractor to black out information that is not pertinent to your current injury and watch him while he does it.


Representation Agreements


Having a Representation Agreement in place has made day-to-day matters for my handicapped loved one so much easier to manage. 

This had included dealing with systems and processes such as:  government offices, civil legal, medical, financial, housing, applications, etc.

It is easy to put in effect and affordable.   We would recommend it to any family who has a loved one with a disability or senior citizen. 

For further information contact:

Representation Agreement & Resource Centre (RARC) or Nidus Registry, 411 Dunsmuir Street, Vancouver, BC   V6B 1X4

Phone:  (604) 408-7414




Old Age Security Benefits for Seniors


Old Age Security (OAS) Pension commences at the age of 65. You must have lived in Canada for at least 10 years.

The amount you receive is based on how long you have lived in canada. You should apply for OAS just before your 65th birthday, but if you don’t, you are entitled to receive up to 11 months pension retroactively.

 Allowance: If you are between 60 and 64 and your spouse or common-law partner receives the Guaranteed Income Supplement (GAIN) you may be eligible for the allowance. The allowance is a monthly benefit that helps bridge the income gap until you reach 65. this allowance stops 3 months after the marriage/common-law living ends.

Allowance for the Survivor: If you are between 60 and 64, have a low or modest income, and your spouse or common-law partner has died, you may qualify for the allowance for the survivor.

***LTD or BC Benefits (person with a disability-PWD) stop when a person turns 65. People on PWD benefits shoud apply for their OAS benefits in the year they turn 64.

 Need some help with this?!!

If you would like some help to navigate this area please get in touch with us. Frank (Fateh) Jetha, a member of BACI’s Senior Committee, has assisted many folks to figure what they are entitled to.

604-298-1085  Frank is available to meet with you after 2pm. Call any time and leave a message.


Need Information? Check out the Red Book Online


The Red Book online is a compendium of human services available in the lower mainland of British Columbia. Check it out, it is chock full of information.

What if the Police are not Taking my Complaint Seriously?


When crime crosses your path (especially serious crime) you hope that the police will take your complaint seriously and take action. However, sometimes that does not happen and you are told that nothing can be done. A police force is a bureaucracy and so the stratgey of going up the chain of command is still a good one. When I have had issues getting service I have done the following with some success:

1. If you are shut down at the front counter by civilian staff then ask for the Staff Sgt. in the area that concerns you (ie theft, serious crimes etc.). You can do this in the moment or you can leave and call by telephone and ask for someone in higher authority.

2. Write a letter to the Officer in Charge (OIC) and ask for a meeting. Or in the alternative ask for a written reply to your concern.

3.If you are not getting service from the RCMP or a Civic Police force then call the Mayor’s Office. In cities where the RCMP do the policing they are contracted by the city and therefore pay the bills. This gives the City influence over policing matters.

Who else has strategies that work? Let’s hear from you….