Income Assistance

Get your free copy of Safe and Secure!!!


Safe and Secure is PLAN’s first book, which contains everything a family needs to know about future planning for a relative with a disability.  Families have told us that it is an invaluable resource. 

We have recently re-written the book (updated and with RDSP info) and the BC Government has pre-paid for your copy.

You can pick it up at your local London Drugs! (check the pharmacy department). 


I’ve inherited $10,000 but I am going to lose my BC Disability Assistance


BC Disability Assistance has long permitted people who recevie sums of money, such as an inheritance, to set it up in a trust and continue to receive their income and other benefits.  The problem is that setting up a trust is complicated and generally we don’t encourage people to do it themselves without visiting a lawyer (which has a cost).

NOW under some circumstances, people can deposit the inheritance in a Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP) (at no cost).

The person must qualify for the federal disability tax credit and be 59 years old or younger.

The RDSP is an exempt asset in BC (and all other provinces) and can be used for any purpose in bc (and MOST other provinces) without impacting Disability Assistance.

 For more information, visit


Old Age Security Benefits for Seniors


Old Age Security (OAS) Pension commences at the age of 65. You must have lived in Canada for at least 10 years.

The amount you receive is based on how long you have lived in canada. You should apply for OAS just before your 65th birthday, but if you don’t, you are entitled to receive up to 11 months pension retroactively.

 Allowance: If you are between 60 and 64 and your spouse or common-law partner receives the Guaranteed Income Supplement (GAIN) you may be eligible for the allowance. The allowance is a monthly benefit that helps bridge the income gap until you reach 65. this allowance stops 3 months after the marriage/common-law living ends.

Allowance for the Survivor: If you are between 60 and 64, have a low or modest income, and your spouse or common-law partner has died, you may qualify for the allowance for the survivor.

***LTD or BC Benefits (person with a disability-PWD) stop when a person turns 65. People on PWD benefits shoud apply for their OAS benefits in the year they turn 64.

 Need some help with this?!!

If you would like some help to navigate this area please get in touch with us. Frank (Fateh) Jetha, a member of BACI’s Senior Committee, has assisted many folks to figure what they are entitled to.

604-298-1085  Frank is available to meet with you after 2pm. Call any time and leave a message.


Need Information? Check out the Red Book Online


The Red Book online is a compendium of human services available in the lower mainland of British Columbia. Check it out, it is chock full of information.

Taxi Vouchers to the Hospital and Doctor if you are Social Assistance


Individuals and families on social assistance may receive a free taxi voucher for taxi service to a medical appt. , emergency room or walk-in clinic for service that is urgent but does not require an ambulance. Call 1-800-660-3194 or

1-800-663-9122 for more information. 

AT Home >> to PWD benefits


If your child receives the At Home Program, they can transition directly to PWD benefits with only a short form to fill out.  This is much preferable to the regular application process – however – some people you may speak to at MEIA, MCFD, CLBC etc. may not be aware that this option is available.

Funding Support for Home Renovations and Vehicle Purchase/Modifications


The Giving in Action Society, supported by the Vancouver Foundation, provides grants to families living in BC through two funds – the Family Independence Fund (FIF) and the Children and Youth with Special Needs Fund (CYSN). These grants enable families to stay together by addressing accessibility issues in their home and community.

For more information go to or call 604-683-3157. 



Burnaby Parks and Recreation Credit Program

Did you know that there is a Burnaby Recreation Credit Program run by Burnaby Parks & Recreation Department. If you are in financial need you may qualify. I know that a person needs a Ministry of Employment and Income Assistance Form filled out by their Financial Aid Worker. To contact MEIA call (604) 320-2227 or visit the office @101-4946 Canada Way, Burnaby.