Archives for LMK

Handydart services


Posted for Frank Jetha, BACI Seniors Committee

If someone become unable to utilize public tranport or transit services and the doctor will certify the person is unable to use above services then he or she qualifies for Handi dart.


The person who qualifies for handi dart qualifies for taxi savers as well. This program allows people to purchase $50.00 worth of taxi savers per month that can be used for $ 100 worth of rides.

HandyCard and Taxi SaverDo you have a permanent physical or cognitive disability that makes it difficult to use the public transit system without assistance? We’re here to help with HandyCard discounts and Taxi Saver coupons.If you live within the TransLink service area, HandyCard lets you travel for Concession fares on the bus, SkyTrain, SeaBus and West Coast Express. If you’re accompanied by someone who assists you they can ride for free, so you can go green and pay less. HandyCard can’t be used on HandyDART. When you begin your transit trip on HandyDART, you pay the regular HandyDART fare, not a concession fare.  Applying for HandyCardHere’s how to apply for a HandyCard:

  • Please complete and sign the Application Form. Have your family doctor (or senior official of a recognized social service or health agency) complete the verification portion.
  • Mail your completed application to our Access Transit Office (at the address below), along with two recent photographs. The photos should be clear, face-front, head-and-shoulders, taken in photo booths at malls or photographic studios. Photos taken with your own camera are acceptable, as long the picture can be sized to 3.2 cm x 3.2 cm (1 1/4" x 1 1/4").

Your non-transferable HandyCard with one photo attached will be mailed to you within four to six weeks after we receive your application.  Taxi Savers Taxi Saver is a supplementary service to HandyDART and available for people with permanent disabilities who have a HandyCard. To find out more about the program, please contact the Access Transit office at 604-453-4634. TransLink Access Transit Office
1600 – 4720 Kingsway
Burnaby, BC V5H 4N2
(604) 453-4634
Read more about Access Transit… Government Funded Annual Bus Pass If you’re from BC and qualify for additional assistance from the BC Ministry of Housing and Social Development, you may be eligible for a discounted yearly bus pass. 


Involuntary Separation for Seniors


Posted for Frank Jetha, BACI seniors committee (604-298-1085)

When one spouse becomes incapacitated (long term illness with admission to a long term care facility or hospital) and the other spouse who looks after the incapacitated spouse the government compensates him/her up to $400.00 per month for pain and suffering.  This includes a spouse who continues to visit and support their partner in a facility while they are ill or until they die.

Death benefits


Posted for Frank Jetha

Government pays funeral expenses up to $2500.00 .

This benefit is connected to CPP and so it varies person to person.

Some folks have only received $100 and others up to $2500. Depends on individual CPP contributions.

"If you have contributed to the CPP for the necessary number of years, the CPP also offers a one-time lump-sum death benefit to your estate upon your death. Furthermore, your spouse or common-law partner may be eligible to receive a monthly survivor pension. Dependent children up to the age of 25 may also be eligible for benefits (those between 18 and 25 must be attending school full-time).

Applications for Canada Pension Plan benefits are available from any federal Service Canada office or on-line from the Service Canada website."


For help to apply or more information call Frank Jetha at 604-298-1085

S.A.F.E.R.- Shelter aid for elderly renters


Government rental subsidy for low income seniors 55 and over.


for help to apply contact Frank Jetha at 604-298-1085

Widows pension (survivors pension)


Posted for Frank Jetha

Begins at age 60 and ends at age 65.

Widow pension is attached to your CPP contribution and therefore it will vary person to person.

For more information and help to apply contact Frank Jetha at 604-298-1085

CPP get it early! / GIS information / Survivor benefits


Canada Pension Plan- Recieve it early!

You may want to receive an early CPP- at the age of 60 , or at age 65 or even at age 70, depending on your comfort income level.

Should you collect CPP at the age of 60, you will receive a 30% less benefit than at age 65.

If you want some help to look at this give Frank Jetha a call at 604-298-1085


Guaranteed Income Supplement

This is an additional monthly benefit available to seniors who receive an Old Age Security Pension and have a low or modest income. A couple should have an income of less than $31,000 a year whereas a single person’s income should be less than

$12,800 a year. OAS and GIS is not considered as income in the above yearly incomes. Shoud you qualify for this benefit (GIS) then you would get a subsidized bus pass for $45/year.

Again if you need help to take the next steps with this give Frank Jetha a call at 604-298-1085


Survivors Benefits

Death benefits is interconnected with the contribution you made to CPP over your working life. It varies person to person according to your contribution. If your spouse dies you can get up to $2500 towards funeral costs. You can also collect up to 62% of the deceased spouses CPP. eg. if he was collecting $300 you could colletct up to $180.

If there are children under age of 18 they are also eligible for survivor benefits as well. If there are children up to 25 years of age attending school full time they can qualify as well.

Free Tax Preparation for low-income families


Free Tax Preparation for low-income famlies:

The CRA has an on-line list of Volunteer Tax preparation clinics and two local sites are  listed below:

1.  The B.C. ACORN Centre has now opened its free tax preparation service for low-income and working families in Metro Vancouver. To book an appointment for your FREE 2009 tax preparation, call the New West office or visit ACORN’s website.

    36 Begbie St.
    New Westminister, BC V3M 3L9
    Phone: 604-522-8706
    Fax: 604-522-8780

    2.  MOSAIC is offering free tax-preparation every Tuesday and Wednesday at their Burnaby office unitl April 28th.  You MUST make a reservation, call MOSAIC Burnaby at 604.636.4712 and ask for Angel.

    The offices are located at 

    7297 Kingsway
    Burnaby, B.C. V5E 1G5

    Phone:  604.636.4712
    Fax: 604 636 4729







    Old Age Security Benefits for Seniors


    Old Age Security (OAS) Pension commences at the age of 65. You must have lived in Canada for at least 10 years.

    The amount you receive is based on how long you have lived in canada. You should apply for OAS just before your 65th birthday, but if you don’t, you are entitled to receive up to 11 months pension retroactively.

     Allowance: If you are between 60 and 64 and your spouse or common-law partner receives the Guaranteed Income Supplement (GAIN) you may be eligible for the allowance. The allowance is a monthly benefit that helps bridge the income gap until you reach 65. this allowance stops 3 months after the marriage/common-law living ends.

    Allowance for the Survivor: If you are between 60 and 64, have a low or modest income, and your spouse or common-law partner has died, you may qualify for the allowance for the survivor.

    ***LTD or BC Benefits (person with a disability-PWD) stop when a person turns 65. People on PWD benefits shoud apply for their OAS benefits in the year they turn 64.

     Need some help with this?!!

    If you would like some help to navigate this area please get in touch with us. Frank (Fateh) Jetha, a member of BACI’s Senior Committee, has assisted many folks to figure what they are entitled to.

    604-298-1085  Frank is available to meet with you after 2pm. Call any time and leave a message.


    Spectrum Society develops tool for Families to help in building friendships


    Title-101 Ways to Make Friends: Ideas and Conversation Starters for Folks with Disabilities and their Supporters

    Quoted from "Our first actual publication under Spectrum’s imprint should be available within a couple of months through a number of on-line booksellers including amazon, as well as at our office.   it will cost about 22.00 U.S.   We do have a number of copies of a printed pre-publicatin version which has all the same content but is spiral bound.   it is $15 Canadian. " 
    • Check out the 101friends blog (right hand side of the page)on the Spectrum Society Personal network site ( – here’s a sample:

    friend-making tip of the month

    2009 February 24

    by Aaron Johannes

    01extra1Food makes everything a little better.   A meeting with food is a whole different meeting from one that does not have food.   No one needs to eat the food (although people will) – it just means something different – it’s friendly and welcoming.   Sometime we wonder how to introduce ourselves or approach someone that we’d like to be friends with.   Again, food is a great place to start.   Susan Kurliak is famous among her children’s friends for “Mrs K’s banana bread.”    Here’s her very easy recipe.

    Susan’s Banana Bread

    1/3 c. soft margarine

    1/2 c. sugar

    1/2 c. brown sugar

    Mix together until fluffly.

    2 eggs

    1 tsp vanilla

    1 1/2 c. mashed bananas

    Add to margarine mixture and beat on high speed 30 seconds.

    1 3/4 c. all purpose flour

    1 tsp baking soda

    1/2 tsp salt

    1/4 tsp baking powder

    1/2 c. milk

    Add blended dry ingredients to banana mixture, alternately with milk.  Pour mixture into greased loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees F. for 1 1/4 hrs or until toothpick inserted near centre comes out clean.

    Wrap your banana bread up as nicely as you can and deliver it to someone you think you’d like to know better – or to someone you know really well and care about, just to say “Thanks for being there!”-

    • Check out this blog daily for a new friendship making tip! What do you have to lose? Maybe you will learn some new techniques! I know i’m going to go home and try the recipes! LMK

    Write off some of your child’s fitness activities expenses


    Did you know that you can write off some of your child’s activitiy expenses, even if they are participating in Special Needs activities?

    Following is quoted from :

    "You can claim to a maximum of $500 per child, the fees paid in 2008 that relate to the cost of registering your or your spouse or common-law partner’s child in a prescribed program of physical activity. The child must have been under 16 years of age at the beginning of the year.

    You can claim this amount provided that another person has not already claimed the same fees and that the total claimed is not more than the maximum amount that would be allowed if only one of you were claiming the amount.

    Children with disabilities – If the child qualifies for the disability amount and is under 18 years of age at the beginning of the year, an additional amount of $500 can be claimed provided that a minimum of $100 is paid on registration or membership fees for a prescribed program of physical activity.

    Prescribed program

    To qualify for this amount, a program must:

    • be ongoing (either a minimum of eight weeks duration with a minimum of one session per week or, in the case of children’s camps, five consecutive days);
    • be supervised;
    • be suitable for children; and
    • require significant physical activity (generally, most of the activities must include a significant amount of physical activity that contributes to cardiorespiratory endurance plus muscular strength, muscular endurance, flexibility and/or balance)."

    Check out this website for more information or talk to your tax preparer.