This year’s conference, "Families, a Journey of Generations
Moving Mountains" should be very exciting for all of us whether
you are a person with a disability, family member, caregiver, service provider, advocate, friend or professional.
We are happy to tell you that we are combining our efforts to create this conference with two other well know family groups, the B.C. Association for Community Living and the Canadian Association for Community Living.
Family Focus enjoys a 23-year tradition of organizing conferences "for
families by families". Come to Whistler B.C. this coming Oct 22-24 and
experience the atmosphere of a National conference where we will…
Themes at the conference will include:
- Promoting family leadership, engagement and networking
- Empowering youth as future leaders
- Welcoming cultural diversity
- Advancing full citizenship and inclusion in education, employment and housing
- Promoting the self-determination of people with intellectual disabilities
- Information sharing for families of young children with special needs
- Harnessing new technology to strengthen the community living movement
- Strengthening organizational capacity through board development, financial planning
and resource development.
About the Family Focus Society:
The first Family Focus Conference was organized and held in Kelowna
in 1987 and 50 people were expected to attend. The organizers were
overwhelmed when over 300 attended! The great success of this
conference, allowing families to meet and share information, prompted
other communities to come forward and host conferences. A conference was held every year until 1995. Family Focus was revitalized in 2001 by the Burnaby Association for Community Inclusion. The last conference was in 2008 in Prince George.