Opening a Registered Disability Savings Plan for an adult family member


Many people will be able to open and manage their own Registered Disability Savings Plans.  Some people, however, will have difficulty doing it on their own.  You can open an RDSP on behalf of an adult family member if you are their legal representative.

Fortunately for British Columbians we have representation agreements, which are tailor made for this.  A representation agreement is a legal tool by which people, including those who might not be deemed to have legal capacity, can designate people to assist them with their financial affairs.  You can get more information about representation agreements at the Nidus Personal Planning Resource Centre (   PLAN will also be offering a web-based course to assist you to do a representation agreement in March (

In other parts of Canada, the solution is not so clear.  We are seeking solutions that will enable family members to assist adults with disabilities (who might not have legal capacity) to open a plan without applying for adult guardianship.  We’ll post updates as we find solutions on so check back often or sign up for free updates.

Social tagging: > >

Leave a Reply