Old Age Security Benefits for Seniors


Old Age Security (OAS) Pension commences at the age of 65. You must have lived in Canada for at least 10 years.

The amount you receive is based on how long you have lived in canada. You should apply for OAS just before your 65th birthday, but if you don’t, you are entitled to receive up to 11 months pension retroactively.

 Allowance: If you are between 60 and 64 and your spouse or common-law partner receives the Guaranteed Income Supplement (GAIN) you may be eligible for the allowance. The allowance is a monthly benefit that helps bridge the income gap until you reach 65. this allowance stops 3 months after the marriage/common-law living ends.

Allowance for the Survivor: If you are between 60 and 64, have a low or modest income, and your spouse or common-law partner has died, you may qualify for the allowance for the survivor.

***LTD or BC Benefits (person with a disability-PWD) stop when a person turns 65. People on PWD benefits shoud apply for their OAS benefits in the year they turn 64.

 Need some help with this?!!

If you would like some help to navigate this area please get in touch with us. Frank (Fateh) Jetha, a member of BACI’s Senior Committee, has assisted many folks to figure what they are entitled to.

604-298-1085  Frank is available to meet with you after 2pm. Call any time and leave a message.


Social tagging:

Leave a Reply