Write off some of your child’s fitness activities expenses


Did you know that you can write off some of your child’s activitiy expenses, even if they are participating in Special Needs activities?

Following is quoted from : http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/whtsnw/rgn-eng.html

"You can claim to a maximum of $500 per child, the fees paid in 2008 that relate to the cost of registering your or your spouse or common-law partner’s child in a prescribed program of physical activity. The child must have been under 16 years of age at the beginning of the year.

You can claim this amount provided that another person has not already claimed the same fees and that the total claimed is not more than the maximum amount that would be allowed if only one of you were claiming the amount.

Children with disabilities – If the child qualifies for the disability amount and is under 18 years of age at the beginning of the year, an additional amount of $500 can be claimed provided that a minimum of $100 is paid on registration or membership fees for a prescribed program of physical activity.

Prescribed program

To qualify for this amount, a program must:

  • be ongoing (either a minimum of eight weeks duration with a minimum of one session per week or, in the case of children’s camps, five consecutive days);
  • be supervised;
  • be suitable for children; and
  • require significant physical activity (generally, most of the activities must include a significant amount of physical activity that contributes to cardiorespiratory endurance plus muscular strength, muscular endurance, flexibility and/or balance)."

Check out this website for more information or talk to your tax preparer.


Social tagging: > > >

Leave a Reply