What if My Child with a Disability has an IQ over 70?


A high functioning child with a disability can seem able to be independent, but still have a great deal of difficulty in the community without support. In British Columbia, we have many people with Autism and FAS who fit this description. If your child is under 19, you can apply for supports through the Ministry of Child and Family Development – and there will probably be waitlists.

If you are over 19, to get services you must go to the Ministry of Social Development. At this time, the Government cuts off adults with a disability who have IQ’s over 70. Yes, yes, I know… after 19, people’s lifelong disabilities magically disappear – its amazing really.

I understand through the Vancouver Sun that the Government is looking at new criteria for eligibility that will hopefully mean that IQ is not the determining factor. The article stated that the Minister of Housing Development, Rich Coleman said that the new criteria would be out in a month (I’ll keep track). Until then, it is all about a doctor’s assessment with respect to IQ. So, it is very important what the doctors say – therefore it is incumbent on you to tell the doctor the impact on the individual and the family if benefits are disallowed. It makes sense to apply anyway, go through the process, and get started on the waitlist.

You may want to call or write your MLA or the Minister of Social Development to express your thoughts about the current criteria.

*UPDATED April 8, 2012*

Social tagging:

One Response to What if My Child with a Disability has an IQ over 70?

  1. Kevin Lusignan says:

    The Vancouver Sun story was on October 04, 2008 when you promised a fix for the eligibility criteria within a month. I just thought a gentle reminder is in order.



Leave a Reply