The following tips are from Transition Magazine Spring/Summer 2007:
1. Volunteer – participate in boards and other community groups to get involved.
2. Educate yourself – learn about advocacy, go to meetings, attend seminars on advocacy, etc.
3. Find people who inspire you – talk to them, ask questions, find out what works for them.
4. Become knowledgeable about a topic – become passionate about a topic/issue and research, find out the information, talk to others, etc.
5. Be a problem solver – look at issues from all angles and develop the best course of action.
6. Be positive – find ‘win-win’ scenarios and try to stay focused on the positive even when it’s hard to see the positive.
8. Be patient – change can be slow, but it’s worth the wait so enjoy the journey and learning along the way.
9. Don’t quit!
10. Take care of yourself – burnout is common with advocacy so take care of yourself, have lots of support…don’t do this alone because you don’t have to.